MEYERS
D.S.R. Route #63
Click here to return to the "BUS ROUTE HISTORY" Main Page.
© 2008  (PAGE LAST MODIFIED ON 03-30-08)
(NOTE: Page best viewed using Internet Explorer browser - Other browsers used with Macintosh computers may distort page layout.)
Click on printer icon for the Printer Friendly version [Meyers–2]
Information for the above two articles compiled from data supplied by various Jack E. Schramm Motor Coach Age magazine articles on DSR bus routes from
1922 thru 1974, including
"Detroit's DSR, Part 1" (January–February 1991 edition), "Detroit's DSR, Part 2" (March–April 1992 edition), and "Detroit's DSR,
Part 3"
(May–June 1993 edition). Additional info obtained from 1950—1955 DSR Schedule Analysis and Headway Reports courtesy of Tom Breeding, and
1951, 1957-58, 1963 and 1968 thru 1972 DSR Service Maps and timetables already in the author's possession.  The July 2004 Meyers transfer courtesy of
the Stan Sycko Transit Collection.
Since its beginning,  when first launched by the DSR back on Thurs-
day, March 24, 1927, the
Meyers bus line has experienced a rather
roller-coaster type existence over the years.  As was common place
with most
DSR bus routes launched during the 1920's, the Meyers
line also began as a short feeder line, transporting riders within those
recently annexed territories of the city—where there was no rail ser-
vice  available—to  the  nearest  streetcar  line. This, of  course, was
cheaper than extending the existing rail lines or building new ones.

The original
Meyers route was only a mile-and-a-half long, operating
from Meyers and Grand River to Meyers and Fenkell.  The route was
extended one month later to Puritan,  and on October 10, 1927, to
Six Mile Road. Beginning on January 31, 1930, the line was rerouted
along Puritan to Coolidge (Schaefer),  and  by January of 1932  had
been extended along Puritan and Hubble to Six Mile Road. However,
effective  November 19, 1934, the
Meyers line would operate from
Meyers and Grand River, via Meyers and Puritan to Southfield Road,
where it then terminated at Southfield and Grand River.  This  would
continue as the
Meyers route for the next 5½ years. Beginning on
May 13, 1940, service  along Puritan was replaced by the  
Lawton-
Fullerton
line,  and for its  remaining months of service the Meyers
route loop-turned via James Couzens Highway and Six Mile Road.

Beginning on July 15, 1940, the
Meyers line was combined with the
Wyoming line,  forming the new  Wyoming-Meyers  route,  which
operated from Meyers and Six Mile (extended one year later to Eight
Mile Road)  via Meyers,  Buena Vista,  Steel,  Fullerton and Wyoming,
eventually ending at West End and Jefferson.  On April 3, 1949, the
Wyoming-Meyers line was separated, with Meyers now operating
as a single route.  This new
7.43–mile long route not only operated
along Meyers, from Eight Mile to Fullerton,  but was also extended a-
bout three miles to the east along Fullerton, to Linwood, in place of the Lawton-Fullerton bus line, which had been dis-
continued that same day.   However, this extension along Fullerton would only be operated as peak hour service by the
late fifties, and continued as peak-hour only operation until discontinued by the
DSR during the early sixties.  From that
point onward,
Meyers service would operate along the 4½-mile long route from Eight Mile to Grand River (see map).

In 1950, headways on the
Meyers bus line averaged 10½ to 12 minutes during the peak hours and 20 minutes during
the base. But by 1955, the headways had increased to 23 minutes during peak-hours, 34 minutes during the base and
40 minutes during evening hours. The Sunday service was discontinued effective on May 1, 1955.  By 1968, headways
had increased to 45 minutes, with service operating only during peak hours, Monday thru Friday.  

On June 15, 1973,  a major change was in store as the line was combined with the mostly residential  
#69 Northlawn
shuttle route and became
#63 Meyers-Northlawn.  The route later became #33 Meyers-Northlawn under DDOT,
and operated until the service was discontinued in September of 1988.
FOR RELATED TOPICS SEE FOLLOWING ROUTES:
MEYERS
D-DOT Route #35
In mid-December of 1998, the Detroit Department of Transportation
(DDOT)
held two Transit Community Forums at the former Greater Grace
Temple building on Schaefer.  The purpose of this forum was to announce
plans to launch new bus service along the Meyers Road corridor. This new
bus route would provide transit service to Adams/Butzel Recreation Center,
Guest Middle School, Lewis College of Business, Northwest Activities Center,
the Super K-Mart Center, and more.

On Saturday, March 6, 1999, service was restored to Meyers when
DDOT
launched its route
#35 Meyers. The new route operated between Meyers
and Grand River to the Northland Shopping Center. Service began shortly
after the opening of the new Super K-Mart Center on Seven Mile Road and
Meyers. The original headways called for 30-minute service weekdays, and
60-minute service on weekends. But beginning in September of 2002, the
headways were reduced  to
25 minutes on weekdays and 50 minutes on
weekends—however, s
ervice to the Northland Mall was discontinued. The
route now operated from Eight Mile Road to Grand River—almost identical
to route followed during the later
DSR years (see above).

Beginning in April of 2003, a slight change was in store for the
Meyers line
when the
DDOT fleet of Chance CNG (compressed natural gas) #4000-
series rubber-tire bus-trolleys were assigned "full-time" to the line. This ser-
vice would continue until the small buses were put out of service and retir-
ed in June of 2004. Regular line-haul coaches then returned to the line.
This DSR map from the late '60s shows the 4½ mile
long route used by the #69 MEYERS bus line during
its last years of operation. This map is unusual in
that it displays the DSR transfer bus routes instead
of the actual cross street names.
(For service under D-DOT see below)
Click on printer icon for the Printer Friendly version [Meyers–1]
Beginning on April 19, 2003, the 27-passenger Chance Bus
Corporation built CNG (compressed natural gas) rubber-tired
"nostalgic style" bus-trolleys were assigned to the Meyers line.
(photo courtesy of the Stan Sycko Collection)
But according to the figures released by DDOT during the
Spring of 2005, ridership totals on
Meyers only averaged
seven passengers per hour.  Ridership was low enough to
convince
DDOT officials to cancel the service. Bus service
ended on the
#35 MEYERS line on Friday, April 22, 2005.