The Five Points
bus line was a lesser known DSR
route which operated along the city's far west border — in the far northwest corner of the city. Five Points Street actually
serves as the boundary road between the City of Detroit and Redford Township.
The bus route began on October 5, 1941, and continued on as a DSR
bus line for nearly twenty years.
The original Five Points route began at Grand River and Lahser, and traveled via Redford, north on Lahser, west on Seven Mile, north on Five Points to Eight Mile; and returned via east on Eight Mile, and south on Lahser back to Grand River. Both service and ridership on the line were light, with headways scheduled at
15 minutes during peak hours and 30 minutes during the midday hours.
Effective on June 19, 1951, the Five Points line replaced a portion of the Six Mile (McNichols) Shuttle, and was extended along McNichols to the Glenhurst Golf Course (just past the western city limits). Headways on the Five Points–Six Mile Shuttle averaged 20 minutes during peak hours and 40 minutes during off-peak hours. However, beginning Oct. 2, 1953, the Six Mile service was discontinued and the route was cut back to McNichols and Lahser Road, and now looped via Lahser, Argus, Rockdale to McNichols. Effective May 1, 1955, the Sunday service on the Five Points line, along with nine other bus routes, was discontinued due to "little demand" on that day of the week.
On average, two to three coaches serviced the route during peak hours, while only one coach operated during the base. During the 1950s, the 31-passenger Ford, Transit and Checker coaches were used to service the line, which was assigned out of the Coolidge Terminal.