.
.
1960-69 EQUIPMENT PHOTOS (Page 2)
FLXIBLE "NEW-LOOK" COACHES – MODEL F2D6V-401
.
PASSENGER TRUCK EQUIPMENT CO. "MINIBUS" – MODEL MB-711
.
GMC "NEW-LOOK" COACHES – MODEL T6H-5305 (Third Generation)
.
.
FOR MORE 1960'S DSR EQUIPMENT PHOTOS (PAGE 3) CLICK-ON "NEXT" (Below)
© 2006 (PAGE LAST MODIFIED ON 06-06-09 (additions 08-02-12, 10-28-12, 06-10-14))
.
The above interior images of former DSR coach #2621 were supplied to the "DSR-2-DOT"
Yahoo! Groups discussion forum by group member "alcocentury425."
(click images to enlarge)
[photos taken by Michael Koprowicz]
.
.
.
All Walter P. Reuther Library, Wayne State University photos posted with permission.
All rights, including those of further reproduction and/or publication, are reserved in full by the Walter P. Reuther Library, Wayne State University.  
Photographic reproductions may be protected by U.S. copyright law (U.S. Title 17).  The user is fully responsible for copyright infringement.

All Jim Husing Collection photos are posted with the permission of Mr. James Husing. Any distribution of photos for sale purposes is prohibited.
Detroit D.S.R. (Department of Street Railways)
Please click-on link to return to the "PHOTO GALLERY" Main Page.
.
.
.
.
FORMER DSR COACH #2621 (MODEL T6H-5305/049) PRESERVED BY D-DOT
.
.
On Sept. 20, 1966, the DSR accepted delivery of four 19-passenger Minibuses (#101-104) to be
used on a new downtown loop route.  The four buses — Model MB-711 — built by the Passenger
Truck Equipment Co. of Huntington Park, CA., came equipped with a gasoline powered Dodge
Truck engine.  On Monday, Oct. 10, 1966, the DSR launched its new MINI-LOOP #1 service.
The 10¢ downtown loop, with 6–10 minute headways, proved so successful that two additional
Minibuses (#105-106) were purchased in 1968.  On Sept. 3, 1968, the DSR launched its second
downtown loop service — the MINI-LOOP #2.  The last of the Minibuses were retired in 1976.  
[photo courtesy of the Carl D. Dutch transit photo collection]
This interior photo of #2621 was taken a few years before the coach was spruced-up.  Although
the coach was quite dusty when this photo was taken, it does give us a view of the front interior
and driver's compartment areas of a typical DSR GMC "New-Look" bus from back in the day.  
[H.B.Craig,II photo collection (Dec. 2004) — www.DetroitTransitHistory.info]
Although regarded unfit for service and returned back to the manufacturer, the entire twenty-
coach Flxible fleet was later resold and found service in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, where they would
retain their original Detroit DSR colors.  In this June 1977 photo, coach #2501 can be seen at
5th Street SE and 1st Avenue NE in Cedar Rapids.  The ex-Detroit fleet would continue on in
service through to the early-1980s.
(For more on the DSR Flxibles see Detroit's Flxible Buses)
[photo courtesy of the Krambles-Peterson archive collection, Art Peterson photo]
The #2600-series coaches came with improved passenger seating and were the first fleet of DSR
coaches to come equipped with electric-motor operated destination signs.  The T6H-5305s also
enabled the DSR to retire the last of its post-war #1000-1100 series GM "old-look" diesels.  Of
course, this fleet sported the same DSR new-look color scheme first introduced back in 1960.  In
this May 1978 photo, coach #2630 is south on Woodward  at Michigan working the Dexter line.
[Melvin Bernero photobucket.com collection, used by permission of Melvin Bernero]
.
D.S.R. STANDBY MINIBUS FLEET – REPAINTED GM TDH-5105 "OLD-LOOKS"
THE 1920's
1  2  3  4
THE 1930's
1  2  3
THE 1940's
1  2  3  4  5
THE 1950's
1  2  3
THE 1960's
1  2  3
THE 1970's
1  2  3
THE 1980's
1  2  3
THE 1990's
1  2  3
THE 2010's
1   2
THE 2000's
1   2
In 1965, approval was granted to the DSR to order twenty coaches manufactured by the Flxible
Co. out of Loudonville, Ohio, for testing on the DSR's heavily traveled Woodward Avenue line.  
A 105-coach order was split with General Motors and 85 GM TDH-5303s were also ordered.  
On August 23, 1965, the first of 20 Flxible coaches (#3501-3520) — Model F2D6V-401 — were
delivered and placed into trial service along-side the new GM fleet.  Unfortunately, shortly after
being placed into service, a number of brake related accidents involving the fleet would occur.
[website owner's collection photo, courtesy of the Schramm photo collection]
In this Sept. 2, 1965 photo, coach #3519 participates in a special 20-bus parade of brand new
Flxible coaches during their maiden voyage up Woodward Ave.  The "short-lived" Flexible fleet
would later be replaced by a fleet of 20 GM "New-Looks" (#2501-2520) in November 1966.
Because of the numerous brake and transmission problems the buses were returned to Flxible.
[Walter P. Reuther Library, Wayne State University photo #48416 — see disclaimer below]
(Click-on photo to view larger image)
In this April 2, 1974 photo, DSR Minibus #101 is seen turning from Washington Boulevard onto
Larned Street while working the MINI-LOOP #1 route.  A smaller size Cobo Hall can be seen in
the background — some years prior to its expansion across Larned Street in 1989.  
[photos courtesy of the Krambles-Peterson archive collection: George Krambles photo]
Although the DSR now owned six (19-pass) Minibuses to cover the required five buses needed
for peak-hour operation on its two downtown Mini-Loop routes, the department decided that
additional spares were needed.  When the DSR began retiring and selling-off large numbers of its
GM "old-looks" in 1969, two of these 51-passenger buses would be set aside and used as standby
Minibuses.  Two TDH-5105s—#1225
(in photo) and #1526—would be repainted, using the
Minibus gray with green and red peppermint strip decor, and could be found on the two Minibus
routes through the early 1970s, until the last of the 5105s were retired in 1973.
[photo courtesy of the Krambles-Peterson archive collection: G. Mac Sebree photo]
Beginning on June 6, 1968, forty-six new GMC Model T6H-5305 coaches (#2601-2646) were
delivered to the DSR.  These third generation GMC "New-Looks"–costing $29,504 apiece–were
purchased with the help of a $820,000 federal HUD grant.  In this 1978 photo, coach #2632 can
be seen traveling east along Jefferson Avenue downtown while working the Mini-Loop #1 route.
By the time this photo was taken a DDOT logo had now replaced the old DSR lettering.  
[Melvin Bernero photobucket.com collection, used by permission of Melvin Bernero]
.
The #2600-series were the first DSR New-Looks to come equipped with improved marker, turn
signal, and tails lights, including the three center identification lamps
(a.k.a. Michigan markers).
These new light arrangements were launched by GMC on the third generation New Looks as a
result of new Federal Vehicle Safety Standard requirements that took effect on Jan. 1, 1968.   
[December 2005 photo courtesy of the Michael Koprowicz photo collection]
Over the years, coach #2621 has been on display at various public events held around town,
including ground-breaking ceremonies for the new DDOT Rosa Parks Transit Center, held back
on Nov. 4, 2005.  This photo was taken during those ceremonies at the former Times Sq Park.  
[photo courtesy of retired DDOT employee Oris Taylor]
In this early-1980s photo, coach #2621 can be seen in service on the Dexter line while laying-
over on Jefferson Ave near Shelby St.  Since being retired, coach #2621 has made a few brief
cameo movie appearances, including the 1992 film "HOFFA"
(starring Jack Nicholson)—about
the life and mysterious death of Teamsters Union leader Jimmy Hoffa; and in the 2012 musical
film "SPARKLE"
(starring Jordin Sparks, Whitney Houston, Mike Epps) set in 1960s Detroit.
[Jim Husing Collection photo, courtesy of James Husing — see disclaimer below]
The interiors of the DSR GM New-Looks purchased during the 1960s used various shades and
combinations of green.  It wasn't until the arrival of New-Look fleets during the 1970s that the
interior color schemes parted from the usual green decor.  However, the #2600-series GMs
were the first Detroit buses to arrive with the redesigned seating style seen here in #2621, and
were the last ones to be purchased with the optional four-piece "jackknife" folding rear door.
[photo courtesy of the Michael Koprowicz Photo Collection]
Although the last of the #2600-series GMC T6H-5305s were retired in 1988, one coach from
that 1968 fleet still lives on today!  Former DSR coach #2621 (Model T6H-5305 – serial #049)
has been refurbished, repainted, and preserved by the Detroit Department of Transportation
and is currently being stored at DDOT's east-side main heavy repair shop facility.
[website owner's collection photo, courtesy of the Schramm photo collection]
(Click-on photo to view larger image)
(Click-on photo to view larger image)