Since the Detroit Motorbus
double-decks proved to be popular
with Detroiters, the city-owned DSR
decided to acquire a fleet of its own. The first double-deckers for the DSR
were actually "leased" from the DUR
's People's Motor Coach Co.
Beginning in July, 1926, seven of the DUR
open-top Yellow Coach
double-deckers were leased by the DSR
for peak-hour servive on the busy John R.
That same year, a fifty coach DSR order went to a local builder, the American Car & Foundry Company, and the buses were built at the company's Detroit railway car plant, located on Russell and Ferry streets. The enclosed upper deck ACF coaches, model 519-4-F1, were sixty-passenger gas-electric double-deckers, and were numbered #501-550. These were the first buses built by American Car & Foundry, and the only double-decker coaches ever built by that company.
The fleet began arriving in November, 1926, and were assigned to a number of the department's more heavy lines. Seventeen were assigned to the Second Avenue Garage to service the heavy
John R. route (which serviced the Ford Highland Pk. plant),
and the Conant line (which serviced the Dodge Bros. plant). The remainder of the double-deckers were assigned to the Kercheval Garage for service on both the Cadillac and Jefferson Express routes, and on the Chalmers line. The DSR operated these coaches using a one-man operation.
However, a mishap occurred during the summer of 1927 which would change the future of double-decker bus service in Detroit. Evidently, the driver of one of the ACF coaches tried to enter
Belle Isle through the Jefferson Avenue underpass on East Grand
Blvd., but forgot he was driving a double-decker bus.