|DETROIT CITY LIMITS IN 1892: WHEN ELECTRIC-POWERED STREETCARS BEGAN
The above 1893 map of the City of Detroit shows the city's boundaries as they stood from 1891 to 1906. The slowly developing
Grand Boulevard (the looping roadway pictured in green), was still under construction at the time. When Hazen S. Pingree became
Mayor of Detroit in 1890, most of the city's borders resided within the vicinity of the Boulevard and east of Livernois. However,
additional annexation to the north and to the east in 1891 would increase the city's land-size again. Although a number of small
villages existed outside the city limits at that time, for the most part the city was surround by Springwells Township to the west,
Greenfield Township to the northwest, Hamtramck Township to the northeast, and Grosse Pointe Township to the east.
The 1891-1906 Detroit boundary lines were as follows: The city's western limits began at Artillery (later renamed Livernois) and
Livernois avenues northward to what is today McGraw, where it continued east to parallel the west and northerly lines of Grand
Boulevard West. The northern boundaries continued eastward (paralleling Grand Blvd.) to 12th Street, north to what is today
Atkinson (north of Clairmount), then east to Crawford Street (renamed Hamilton Blvd. shortly afterward). The boundaries then
paralleled Hamilton to just north of Webb Avenue along what is today the southern border of the city of Highland Park, then
continuing east to Oakland Avenue. The boundaries then paralleled Oakland south to a line north of Owens Avenue eastward to
what is today the southern border of the city of Hamtramck. The line continued east long the Hamtramck border to Strong
Avenue, eastward to a connection with Harper Avenue (near Field Avenue). The border continued east along Harper to Hurlbut.
The city's east border followed a line between Hurlbut and what is today Bewick southward to the River.
© 2010 (DetroitTransitHistory.info)
|(Map online source: DetroitYES.com)
|(click-on map for larger more detailed version)