.
aF.
.
During the 150 years of public transportation operations here in Detroit, there have been numerous locations across the city that have at one time served as either streetcar barns or bus garages, and even both.

When the D.S.R. took over all street railway operations in the city on May 15, 1922, fifteen carhouses came under the control and ownership of the City of Detroit thirteen of which were obtained through the purchase of the Detroit United Railway (DUR) system.

This web-page will focus on those properties that came under the control of the city-owned Department of Street Railways (DSR), and its successor, the Detroit Department of Transportation (DDOT). Our time-period begins just prior to the 1922 take-over of the DUR company.

.
.
For Comments  & Suggestions Please Contact Site Owner at: admin@detroittransithistory.info
© 2008  (PAGE LAST MODIFIED ON 06-14-12)
FORMER CITY-OWNED CAR BARNS AND BUS GARAGES
The former West Jefferson Carhouse was located just east of the Rouge River on the
north side of W. Jefferson Ave.— bordering both sides of Brennan Street.  A turning
loop on the property served as the end of the line for the Delray portion of the Fort
Street car line. The carhouse closed on March 1, 1931, but for decades a portion of
the property would serve as the former DSR-DDOT Brennan Loop turn-around. Today,
the Detroit Water & Sewerage Dept's Wastewater Treatment Plant occupies the land.
(Photo source: Dave's Electric Railroads, Bill Volkmer collection)
The Warren Carhouse was located on the south side of W. Warren,
between Lawton and the former Grand Trunk RR spur track. Its large
carhouse building was located just to the left of this photo. The Warren
Carhouse closed on November 16, 1930, and the property is now the
location of the Detroit Fire Dept's Training Academy
.
(Walter P. Reuther Library, Wayne State University photos #48427, 48424)
The Baker Carhouse was located on the northwest corner of W. Vernor
and Livernois. The carhouse closed on October 2, 1949. The property is
now the location of the City of Detroit, General Services Department's
Motor Transportation Garage.
.
FORMER D.U.R. CARHOUSES ACQUIRED BY D.S.R. UNDER 1922 TAKE-OVER PURCHASE
CARHOUSE
LOCATION
YEAR
OPENED
YEAR
CLOSED
MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION
.HARPER CARHOUSE
Harper at Mt. Elliott
1900's
1923
Carhouse closed on January 29, 1923, lines moved to
Gratiot Carhouse
.CLARK CARHOUSE
Clark north of W. Jefferson
1892
1925
Carhouse closed and converted to bus garage on
December 12, 1925. Clark bus garage closed in 1937
.TRUMBULL CARHOUSE
Trumbull at Stanley
1890's
1926
Carhouse closed on March 13, 1926, lines moved to
Woodward Carhouse in Highland Park
.ST. JEAN (KERCHEVAL) CARHOUSE
St. Jean at Kercheval
1900's
1928
Renamed Kercheval Carhouse on December 1, 1924.
Carhouse closed and converted to bus garage on
April 1, 1928, carlines moved to Shoemaker Carhouse
.WARREN CARHOUSE
W. Warren at Lawton
1895
1930
Carhouse closed on November 16, 1930, cars moved
to Coolidge Carhouse
.W. JEFFERSON (FORT) CARHOUSE
W. Jefferson at Brennan
1890's
1931
Carhouse closed on March 1, 1931, lines moved to
Baker and Wyoming Carhouses. A portion of property
served as the original DSR–DDOT Brennan Loop
.MICHIGAN CARHOUSE
Michigan Ave. at Military
1895
1931
Carhouse closed on August 8, 1931, cars moved to
Wyoming Carhouse in Dearborn
.BRUSH CARHOUSE
Russell at Ferry
1890's
1932
Carhouse closed on January 31, 1932, lines moved to
Woodward Carhouse in Highland Park
.KERCHEVAL (CONCORD) CARHOUSE
Kercheval at Concord
1895
1932
Renamed Concord Carhouse on December 1, 1924.
Carhouse closed on November 16, 1932
.BAKER CARHOUSE
Livernois at W. Vernor
1917
1949
Carhouse closed on October 2, 1949, lines moved to
the reopened Wyoming Carhouse in Dearborn
.EAST JEFFERSON CARHOUSE
E. Jefferson at St. Jean
1904
1951
Carhouse closed on September 5, 1951, cars moved
to Gratiot Carhouse
.GRATIOT CARHOUSE
Gratiot Ave. at Harper
(former Leesville Carhse.)
1889
1954
Carhouse closed on September 8, 1954, cars moved
to Woodward and Wyoming Carhouses
.WOODWARD CARHOUSE
Woodward at Manchester
(Highland Park)
1910
1955
Carhouse closed on October 16, 1955, lines moved
temporarily to adjacent Highland Park Terminal. All
DSR rail operation discontinued on April 8, 1956
When the "short-lived" Municipal Operation (MO) began operations on February 1, 1921, a temporary carhouse and maintenance shed at Shoemaker and St. Jean streets was used until a permanent Shoemaker Carhouse brick structure was completed. When service began on the MO's Clairmount line on Oct. 25, 1921, a temporary storage yard called Joy Road Car Station (at Wildemere and Joy Rd) was used to store cars on the west-side. Shortly thereafter, the Atkinson (Junction) Carhouse was used after the Clairmount line was extended across Grand River on Jan. 15, 1922. The following is a listing of streetcar barns built by the City of Detroit....

.
STREETCAR BARNS BUILT UNDER THE CITY-OWNED MUNICIPAL SYSTEM (MO) and D.S.R. OPERATION
CARHOUSE
LOCATION
YEAR
OPENED
YEAR
CLOSED
MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION
.ATKINSON (JUNCTION) CARHOUSE
Junction at McGraw
1922
1924
This temporary carhouse opened on January 5, 1922, to
house cars for the MO's Clairmount line. Carhouse closed
on January 12, 1924, cars moved to Michigan Carhouse
.SHOEMAKER CARHOUSE
Shoemaker at St.
Jean
1922
1939
Permanent Shoemaker carhouse opened on July 4, 1922.
Operated as a streetcar barn until the carhouse was
closed and converted into a bus garage on July 3, 1939
.COOLIDGE CARHOUSE
Coolidge Hwy
(Schaefer) near
Schoolcraft
1928
1947
Opened on February 26, 1928 as a car barn and bus
garage—the first city built transit property built for both.
The Coolidge Carhouse was closed on May 4, 1947 and
the property completely rebuilt into a bus garage
.WYOMING CARHOUSE
Wyoming at
Michigan
(Dearborn)
1930
1955
Carhouse opened on March 3, 1930, temporarily closed
on June 20, 1948. Repened on October 2, 1949,
carhouse portion closed on September 7, 1955
.
STREETCAR BARNS STILL OPERATING AS OF SEPTEMBER 1950 "SCHOOL OPEN" SCHEDULE
CARHOUSE
LOCATION
DATE CLOSED
RAIL LINES ASSIGNED (SEPT. 1950)
.EAST JEFFERSON CARHOUSE
E. Jefferson at St. Jean
September 5, 1951
Clairmount
P.C.C. OPERATION: Jefferson
.GRATIOT CARHOUSE
Gratiot Avenue at Harper
September 8, 1954
Baker, Clarimount, Mack, Mt. Elliott
P.C.C. OPERATION: Gratiot
.WYOMING CARHOUSE
Wyoming at Michigan Ave.
(Dearborn)
September 7, 1955
Baker
P.C.C. OPERATION: Michigan
.WOODWARD CARHOUSE
Woodward Ave. at Manchester
(Highland Park)
October 16, 1955
Oakland, Trumbull
P.C.C. OPERATION: Woodward
D.S.R. BUS STORAGE FACILITIES
The Highland Park Garage was located on Second Avenue in Highland
Park, just north of LaBelle Street. It sat adjacent to the Woodward
Carhouse which was located just to the north. The entire complex,
including bus, streetcar and repair shop facilities made this the DSR's
largest property. The bus terminal closed on December 28, 1970, while
the heavy repair shops closed in December of 1972.
The DSR Shoemaker property —  located on Shoemaker and St. Jean
streets — was the first transit facility to be built by the City of Detroit
when it opened as a streetcar barn in 1921.  The Shoemaker Garage
later opened on July 3, 1939, when the property was converted into a
bus garage, as displayed in this 1946 photo. Additional storage bays
were added to the property in 1947.
 
WARREN CARHOUSE
BAKER CARHOUSE
(Photo #29983_1 (left) and #29984 (right) Walter P. Reuther Library, Wayne State University photos)
HIGHLAND PARK GARAGE
SHOEMAKER GARAGE
Click here to return to "THE DSR YEARS" Main Page.
Virtual Motor City Collection photos #29983_1, 29984, 48424 and 48427 are used by permission of the Walter P. Reuther Library, Wayne State
University.
All rights, including those of further reproduction and/or publication, are reserved in full by the Walter P. Reuther Library, Wayne State University.  Photographic
reproductions may be protected by U.S. copyright law (U.S. Title 17).  The user is fully responsible for copyright infringement.
.
When the DSR's Motor Coach Division began operations on January 1, 1925, arrangements were made to store the bus fleet temporarily at DSR carhouses and rented garages until more permanent facilities were constructed. The temporary facilities included a rented garage at Woodward and Steven (just south of Six Mile Road in Highland Park where the first buses were stored) and a leased garage located at Grand River and Plymouth. The carbarns used included the Shoemaker Carhouse and the Fort (W. Jefferson) Carhouse (W. Jefferson and Brennan).
The following is a listing of bus storage and maintenance facilities in operation beginning in 1925...

D.S.R. BUS GARAGES IN OPERATION BEGINNING FROM 1925 THRU 1950
GARAGE
LOCATION
YEAR
OPENED
YEAR
CLOSED
MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION
-AMERICAN GARAGE
Grand River and American
1925
1928
Leased by DSR and opened on April 20, 1925. Buses moved
from temporary leased space at Grand River and Plymouth.
American Garage closed on June 26, 1928, shortly after the
opening of the new Coolidge Garage
-SECOND AVENUE GARAGE
Second Avenue
(Highland Park shop
property)
1925
1929
Built on Second Avenue within Highland Park shop property,
across from Woodward Carhouse in Highland Park. Opened on
August 22, 1925, replacing the rented garage on Woodward
and Stevens. Additional buildings added in 1926 and 1928.
Replaced by the Highland Park Garage on November 1, 1929
-JEFFERSON GARAGE
E. Jefferson at St. Jean
1925
1928
Opened on October 17, 1925, after western portion of East
Jefferson Carhouse was rebuilt as a bus garage. Buses moved
from temporary storage at Shoemaker Carhouse, Renamed
Kercheval Garage on February 10, 1926. Bus portion closed
and replaced by new Kercheval Garage on April 1, 1928
-CLARK GARAGE
Clark north of W. Jeffeson
1925
1937
Opened on December 12, 1925, after Clark Carhouse was
rebuilt as a bus garage. Buses moved from temporary storage
at W. Jefferson (Fort) Carhouse, Closed on December 5, 1937
-WARD AVENUE GARAGE
Grand River Ave. and Ward
1926
1928
Leased by DSR and opened on August 31, 1926. Garage was
closed on June 26, 1928, shortly after the opening of the new
Coolidge bus and streetcar facility
-FARMINGTON GARAGE
Farmington, Michigan
1926
(PMC-??)
1928
Property and buses acquired from the DUR's People's Motor
Coach Company on July 1, 1926. Grand River Express buses
to Farmington, MI were assigned to this garage after the DSR
acquired route from PMC. Service discontinued July 29, 1928
-GARY GARAGE
Gratiot Avenue at Detroit
Terminal RR crossing
(northeast of French Road)
1926
(PMC 1925)
1930
Property and buses acquired from the DUR's People's Motor
Coach Company on July 1, 1926. Build by the DUR as an
Interurban Transfer Station and opened on March 19, 1925.
The Gary Garage lease was terminated on November 14, 1930
-COOLIDGE GARAGE
Coolidge Hwy (Schaefer)
near Schoolcraft
1928

Opened on February 26, 1928 as the first property built by the
DSR to house both streetcars and buses. Carhouse closed on
May 4, 1947. Remodeled bus facility completed June 1948
[Property currently undergoing a major renovation by DDOT]
(Facility "temporarily" closed since January 14, 2012)
-KERCHEVAL GARAGE
St. Jean at Kercheval
1928
1939
Opened on April 1, 1928 after Kercheval (St. Jean) Carhouse
was converted into a bus garage. The previous Kercheval bus
garage (located across the street on E. Jefferson Carhouse
property) then moved across the street to this new location.
Kercheval Garage closed on July 3, 1939, with the conversion
of the Shoemaker Carhouse into a bus garage.
-HIGHLAND PARK GARAGE
Second Ave near LaBelle
(Highland Park)
1929
1970
Opened on November 1, 1929. Built across from the Second
Avenue Garage
(which it replaced) on Second just north of
LaBelle. Additions added in 1936 and 1957. The bus terminal
closed on December 28, 1970, while the Highland Park Shops
closed on December 28, 1972, moving to 1301 E. Warren
-DEXTER GARAGE
Dexter Ave. at Doris
1932
(DMB 1924)
1935
Leased from Detroit Motobus Co after the company's license
to operate in the city was revoked effective on January 1,
1932. The lease on the Dexter Garage was cancelled in 1935
-SHOEMAKER GARAGE
Shoemaker at St. Jean
1939

Former Shoemaker Carhouse property converted into a bus
facility on July 3, 1939. Large storage bays added in 1947.
[Property still active under DDOT]
-WYOMING GARAGE
Wyoming at Michigan
(Dearborn)
1943
1963
Bus facility added to Wyoming Carhouse property on June 21,
1943, Although the carhouse closed in 1955, the Wyoming
bus terminal would remain open until September 30, 1963. A
north portion of the property would remain as the DSR-DDOT
Wyoming Loop turn-around
-GILBERT TERMINAL
Wabash at Stanley
1948

Opened on June 6, 1948, as the first transit facility built by the
City of Detroit solely for bus maintenance and storage. Gilbert
Terminal was the last bus terminal constructed by the city
[Property still active under D-DOT]
.
The following lists the last bus garages still in operation during the final decades of the DSR era...

D.S.R. BUS TERMINALS STILL OPERATING AS OF SEPTEMBER 1950 "SCHOOL OPEN" SCHEDULE
TERMINAL
LOCATION
DATE CLOSED
BUS ROUTES ASSIGNED (SEPT. 1950)
-WOODWARD TERMINAL
Woodward north of
Manchester
(Highland Park)
October 16, 1955
(Lines moved to
adjacent Highland
Park Terminal)
NOTE: After buses began replacing streetcars after World War II,
a number of bus lines were assigned to the Woodward Carhouse
Davison Shuttle, Holbrook, John R North,
John R-Oakland
*(Loc/Exp), Oakland Railbus  
-WYOMING TERMINAL
Wyoming at Michigan Ave.
(Dearborn)
September 30, 1963
Bassett, Crosstown, Grand Belt, Joy Road, Lafayette-Green,
Michigan Shuttle, Tireman, W. Jefferson, Woodmere, Wyoming
-HIGHLAND PARK TERMINAL
Second Ave. north of LaBelle
(Highland Park)
December 28, 1970
Conant, Eight Mile East, Hamilton (Loc/Exp), McNichols East,
Oakman, Russell, School, Second Avenue (Loc/Exp),
Seven Mile East, Woodrow Wilson
-SHOEMAKER TERMINAL
Shoemaker at St. Jean
STILL ACTIVE
Belle Isle, Cadieux, Cadillac-Harper (Loc/Exp), Chalmers,
Clairmount Railbus, Conner, Crosstown, Conant, Dickerson,
Eight Mile East, Gratiot-Hayes Exp, Harper-Nine Mile Shuttle,
Hoover Shuttle, Kercheval, Mack Railbus, McNichols East,
Plymouth-Caniff, Schoenherr-Redmond, School,
Seven Mile East, Van Dyke-Lafeyette, Vernor, Warren East
-COOLIDGE TERMINAL
Schaefer north of Schoolcraft
UNDER
RECONSTRUCTION
(since 2012)
Broadstreet, Five Points, Grand River (Loc/Exp), Greenfield,
Hamilton (Loc/Exp), Lahser, Livernois, Meyers, Northlawn,
Plymouth-Caniff, Puritan-Fenkell, Schaefer, School,
Schoolcraft, Six Mile Shuttle, Southfield, Second Avenue
(Loc/Exp), Trumbull Railbus, West Chicago, Wyoming
-GILBERT TERMINAL
Wabash at Hudson Street
STILL ACTIVE
Buchanan, Claimount Shuttle, Clairmount Railbus, Dexter
(Loc/Exp), Depot, Fort West, Fourteenth, Grand Belt, Linwood,
School, St. Aubin
Information for the above article was compiled from various articles written by Jack E. Schramm on the Detroit Street Railways, including "Detroit's DSR, Parts 1
thru 3"
(Motor Coach Age Magazine), and "DETROIT'S STREET RAILWAYS Vol II: City Lines 1922-1956" by Schramm, Henning and Dworman (Bulletin
120 – Central Electric Railfans' Association), and from other miscellaneous sources. The September 6, 1950 DSR Schedule Analysis and Headway Reports information
courtesy of Tom Breeding.
*(Loc/Exp) – Denotes the additional "Express" route associated with the "Local" route listed.
FOR RELATED TOPICS SEE:
..
Preserving the History of Public Transportation in and around the City of Detroit,
...from "Steel Wheels to Rubber Tires."
.
PRINTER-
FRIENDLY
WEB-PAGE
(Reformatted 12-22-13)
D.S.R. HIGHLAND PARK TERMINAL
DSR GM "old-look" coach #1454 can be seen in this 1969 photo parked across from one of the last buildings erected on the
Highland Park Terminal property.  This narrow
(77'–wide x 622'–long) coach storage building could accommodate over eighty
coaches and opened in January 1957, shortly after the streetcars were removed.  After the property closed in 1972, the
remaining buildings on the site were demolished in 1974 and the land sold to the City of Highland Park for redevelopment.
[photo courtesy of the Krambles-Peterson archive collection: G.M. Sebree photo]